After now releasing 3 flawless records The Hotelier have quickly become one my favorite bands. But only recently have I rediscovered the beauty of the lyrics when I came across these two solo acoustic sessions by lead singer Christian Holden. In them you can see the power and passion that is put in their performances as well as the cuteness when they forget the lyrics to one of the older songs. Check them out below.
2018 is about to be a huge year for Camp Cope. Not only for their music but also for their message of equity. Nowhere is this more clear then on their performance of “The Opener” the angry single of their highly anticipated sophomore record How To Socialise & Make Friends. In the performance lead singer Georgia Maq eye rolls her way through the lyrics of misogyny in the music industry.
1. Sorority Noise – You’re Not As _____ As You Think
2. Charly Bliss – Guppy
3. Alex Cameron – Forced Witness
4. Harmony woods – Nothing Special
5. Remo Drive – Greatest Hits
6. Alvvays – Antisocialites
7. milo – who told you to think??!!?!?!?!
8. Los Campesinos! – Sick Scenes
9. Brockhampton – Saturation II
10. The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die – Always Foreign
11. Julie Byrne – Not Even Happiness
12. (Sandy) Alex G – Rocket
13. Diet Cig – Swear I’m Good At This
14. Sinai Vessel – Brokenlegged
15. Phoebe Bridgers – Stranger in the Alps
16. Strange Ranger – Daymoon
17. Nervous Dater – Don’t Be a Stranger
18. Vagabon – Infinite Worlds
19. Cayetana – New Kind of Normal
20. Big Thief – Capacity
21. Jay Som – Everybody Works
22. oso oso – the yunahon mixtape
23. Julien Baker – Turn Out the Lights
24. The Menzingers – After the Party
25. Neil Cicierega – Mouth Moods
No Christmas is complete without a playlist. So here is mine. Complete with 3 Sufjan tracks, Mariah Carey and more. What else could you want?
One of the many reason that Modest Mouse is one of my favorite bands and still my most scrobbled artist on last.fm is how different their songs can be when they are performed live. Combining lyrics from at least 3 other songs, here is one of their longest performances. The beauty comes in the build up during the middle of the performance leading into the lyrics of “Came as a Rat”. From here it becomes an improvised jam combing lyrics from “King Rat”, “Life Like Weeds” and some ramblings of what sound like the time the Issac Brook broke his jaw. The question I’d love to know is how much of the improvisations are rehearsed because they work out so great. Also if all these songs are connected lyrically or just because the rhythms flow together.
Dan Smith has come a long way since making videos in his backyard while banging on a washing machine. Now transitioning from his unique “talk rap” style to now a full-fledged rock band while still having the passion and deep lyrics you come to expect from him. This is the most excited I’ve been about this project yet.
I’m such a sucker for single take shots and the music video for HAIM’s excellent new single is a great one. A video that embodies all of what HAIM is as the trio struts down an empty LA street. I will definitely be copying these moves whenever I listen to this song from now on.